If we had selected just one platform for both server and client, then we would need developers for only that platform. Also, we would need fewer software tools to build the 3CLogic application. We deliberately selected .NET for the client and JAVA for the server because we wanted to select the right platform for the environment.
Why We Chose JAVA for Our Server:
1. Applications built on JAVA are highly scalable.
2. Linux servers are more reliable and more available than Windows servers. If we had selected .NET over JAVA, then we would have been limited to Windows servers.
3. JAVA applications are server agnostic and can be run either on Linux or Window servers.
4. .NET can only run on Windows servers which are more expensive than Linux servers. This translates to lower prices for our customers.
5. Almost all financial companies use Linux-based servers. Google, Facebook, Yahoo and Amazon, to name a few, run on Linux servers.
Why We Chose .NET to Build the 3CLogic Client Software:
1. Windows PCs are standard in all call centers. 92% of all PCs are Windows-based.
2. .NET integrates better with Windows OS and typically uses less memory. We have even successfully run the 3CLogic Client in Windows 2000 machines with only 512 MB Ram.
3. Installation of .NET-based applications on Windows is an easier and faster process.
4. .NET makes it easier to give software the look and feel of an application like Windows.
5. For Windows application development, .NET has better tools and technologies available than just those for JAVA.